On May 25, 1962, the University of Negros Occidental (UNO) was turned over to the hands of the Order of Augustinian Recollects. UNO was then named as the University of Negros Occidental – Recoletos (UNO-R).
UNO, which was then named as Occidental Negros Institute (ONI) was founded by Dr. Antonio Lizares and Dr. Francisco Kilayko in 1941 in Talisay. But because of World War II, it has to close down. In 1946, it re-opened in Bacolod City and 1957, it was given university status and was named as UNO.
The first Rector of UNO-Recoletos was Fray Federico Terradillos, ORSA. Today, Fray Don Besana, OAR, the university president with the University community stands of these three principles: EVANGELIZATION, EXCELLENCE, AND EXTRA MILE (3 E’s).
UNO-R is placed under the patronage of St. Nicholas of Tolentino
HAPPY 58TH BIRTHDAY, UNO-RECOLETOS