In June, Dr. Antonio Lizares and Dr. Francisco Kilayko founded the Occidental Negros Institute (ONI) in Talisay, Negros Occidental. By December, ONI was forced to close. The invading Japanese had arrived.
Negros liberated and World War II ends.
ONI reopens in the former Doctor’s Hospital building in Smith (now Locsin Street )
in Bacolod City.
Elementary and High school education resumed and three tertiary degree programs opened: Liberal Arts, Commerce, and Law.
ONI moved to its permanent home in Lupit Subdivision, Lizares Avenue, Bacolod.
Government recognition granted to Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science in Commerce and Bachelor of Science in Education.
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, Bachelor of Laws, and Master of Arts in Education.
The Institute opened its first engineering curriculum leading to a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. Annex buildings were built (engineering bldg. and Auditorium)
On May 15 the Institute became the University of Negros Occidental (UNO) as granted by the Department of Education under Acting Secretary Martin V. Aguilar, Jr.
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering and the first-degree holders graduate from the College of Engineering. The chapel of the Immaculate Conception was built and elementary buildings were made.
On the 25th of May, the University was passed into the hands of the Augustinian Recollect Fathers and becomes the University of Negros Occidental – Recoletos. Rev. Fr. Federico Terradillos, ORSA became acting Rector.
Rev. Fr. Salvador Lerga, ORSA, was elected Rector to serve until 1967. Construction of new Administration building began.
Four-year curriculum leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology opened.
Rev. Fr. Antonio Martinez, ORSA was elected as President.
On completion, the new administration building was inaugurated.
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology. Bishop Antonio Y. Fortich, D.D. was conferred with the degree of Doctor of Humanities for Social Actions “honoris causa”. UNO-R became the first school to confer Bishop Fortich with such honor. College of commerce building was constructed.
Rev. Fr. Jose Ma. Juango, OAR elected 4th president of the University.
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.
Rev. Fr. Felix Ortega, OAR elected president. With the help of Fund Aid to Private Education (FAPE), the University ventured into a Pilot Agribusiness Project involving the Director of the Research Institute, the School of Agriculture and the College of Engineering. Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Agriculture.
Recognition granted to Master in Business Administration under the Graduate School. Management of the TV station DYAF, channel 10 was transferred from VERTA to UNO-R
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Farm Management of the School of Agriculture
Rev. Fr. Felix Ortega, OAR passed away. Fr. Blas Montenegro, OAR finished his term of office as Acting President of the university September -Rev. Fr. Melquiades Modequillo, OAR, elected as first Filipino president of the University.
Recognition granted to Certificate in Home Technology under the Teacher’s College.
New constructions included the Gymnasium, Track and Field, and new and modernized Engineering Building.
May 1 -The UNO-R Faculty Employee Labor Association was formed
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering.
Rev. Fr. Mauro Ambubuyog, OAR became the 2nd Filipino president of the University. Signing of the first Collective Bargaining Agreement between the University and the Teachers’ Union, UNOFELA; thereafter a new CBA every five years.
The office of the University Community Extension Program (UCEP) is created to complete the University tripod, academics, research, and community extension. First Computing Laboratory of the University was opened in the College of Engineering under the de facto management of Computing Services. Computing Services pioneered the Special Training Program (STP) in computer literacy. Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Secretarial Management and Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics. Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in General Science and Bachelor of Science in Mass Communication,
Rev. Fr. Jose Antonio Rodrigalvarez, OAR elected president. Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness of the School of Agriculture, Bachelor of Science in Psychology of the College of Arts and Sciences, Bachelor of Science in Industrial Management of the College of Engineering, and Doctor of Education of the Graduate School.
Institute of Computer Science and Technology is created according to Executive Order #4, Series SY1986-87 Recognition granted to Associate in Commerce of the College of Commerce.
Recognition granted to Doctor Philosophy of the Graduate School. Hon. Andres Soriano III was conferred with the Degree Doctor of Business Administration (Honoris Causa)
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Computer Science of the College of Commerce. Feb. 19 – Honorable Claudio de Luzuriaga, Jr. , President of Victorias Milling Company (VMC) is conferred with the Degree Doctor of Business Administration (Honoris Causa)
Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Accountancy of the College of Commerce.
UCEP becomes the University Community Development Office. UNO-R adopts Purok Katilingban of Brgy. 39 as the beneficiary of community extension program.
UNO-R acquired two hectares of land in Brgy. Handumanan on which the creation of a holistic community was proposed. Construction of model homes for the poor began. Doňa Milagros Villasor was conferred with the Degree of Doctor of Humanities (Honoris Causa)
Rev. Fr. Constantino Real, OAR elected President. College of Arts and Sciences accredited to Level II by the Philippine Accreditation of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU) for three years. Recognition granted to Bachelor of Science in Social Work of the College of Arts and Sciences. April 3, Easter Sunday, Housing project in Handumanan inaugurated with President Juan Ali Aranguren of Gobierno de Navarro, Spain as principal guest. UNO-R conferred Honoris Causa to Juan Ali Aranguren., Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa) Adoration Chapel was made in front of the Registrar’s office.
New CBA signed by the University and UNOFELA
The University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos was founded in 1941 in the town of Talisay by Dr. Antonio A. Lizares and Dr. Francisco Kilayko. It was then called ONI Occidental Negros Institute which initially offered only first and second years of high school education. However, the Second World War broke out in December of 1941 that forced the institute to temporarily close.
After the war in 1946, ONI was re-established, this time at Locsin Street in Bacolod City and offered elementary, high school and three college degree programs. It grew with the influx of students from all over the province; hence, it transferred to a bigger venue in Lizares Avenue, where it now stands. It was run by a Board of Trustees with Dr. Antonio Lizares as the first president and Dr. Francisco Kilayko as the Director of the School.
ONI continued to grow and made its mark in the whole province with the quality education it offered; hence on May 15, 1957, it became the University of Negros Occidental, the first University in the whole province. Five years later, on May 25, 1962, it became the University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos as it was passed on to the hands of the Order of Augustinian Recollects with Fr. Federico Terradillos, OAR as the first Rector. The Recollects brought with them a wealth of experience in the field of education. It was their apostolate to provide quality Catholic Christian education to all the youth in the whole province.
The University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos today stands as a living symbol of quality and excellence. It has produced thousands of graduates who are now successful in their chosen fields of endeavor from all parts of the world for which UNO-Recoletos takes great pride. Indeed, it is the cradle of excellence for it is the home of excellent and relevant academic programs which are founded on St. Augustine’s theme, “Caritas et Scientia.”